Do you have an appointment at the dentist coming up, but you’re experiencing fear and anxiety upon your visit? Or you’re avoiding visiting the dentist altogether? The truth is, you’re probably not the only one!
Dental anxiety and general fear are common among many people, and the thought of visiting the dentist can only increase it. However, one way of making sure your oral health doesn’t deteriorate is to have twilight sedation dentistry.
Twilight sedation dentistry is a form of IV sedation where intravenous sedatives are administered to you before your appointment to put you in a “semi-awake” state. The objective behind it is to numb the affected area and instill a sense of calmness and relaxation during treatment. This means that you become less aware of the treatment, and the dentist can get to work on your smile.
What Are The Advantages Of Twilight Sedation Dentistry?
Twilight sedation is considered a popular choice of sedation dentistry for the following reasons:
- Supports Dental Anxiety – Dental anxiety is described as a fear of dental surgeries and clinics in general. This is common among many patients, and for those who want to avoid seeing a dentist, twilight sedation can help reduce those anxieties to help keep you relaxed during treatment.
- A Regulated Sedative – If a dental treatment lasts for up to two hours, twilight sedation helps the dentist to deliver it as a regulated sedative, meaning a customised level of sleep depending on the sedative dose. This can ensure you, as the patient, remains relaxed and comfortable until the treatment is complete.
- No Memory Of The Procedure – Twilight sedation makes you feel consciously relaxed. This means that you may experience light-headedness and sleep. When administered, your focus will not be on the procedure at any time, meaning that you won’t remember what happened.
- Comfortable and Safe – A natural question for patients is whether sedation dentistry is safe to use. The objective of twilight sedation is to remain relaxed and comfortable with the right number of sedatives determined by the dentist.
- Quality Treatment – The dentist will gratefully benefit from you using sedation dentistry from a quality standpoint. The dentist wants to deliver the best results for your smile, and it makes it more difficult for them to carry out the quality treatment when you’re anxious.
Can Any Dentist Perform Twilight Sedation Dentistry?
Most dentists can administer minimal sedation such as laughing gas (nitrous oxide). Although, it would be beneficial for you to consult your local dentist to determine if they can administer twilight sedation dentistry, as not all dentists can administer all levels of sedation.
It is likely that if your dentist is not IV certified or isn’t licensed to administer IV sedation, it will mean that they’re not in a position to offer twilight sedation dentistry. Therefore, consult your local dentist to find out.
If you need to visit the dentist but you’re suffering from dental anxiety, we at Pennant Hills can offer twilight sedation dentistry to support you during treatment. If you’ve further questions about twilight sedation dentistry: Most Commonly Asked Questions on Twilight Sedation Dentistry