Everybody desires a dazzling white smile. Although, it doesn’t come easy. Your smile is the first thing that people will notice about you, and the breadth of teeth whitening treatments available today makes access to that new smile all the closer.
We have uncovered several tips to keep teeth white at home, from home remedies to fast-track whitening treatments. With the number of options available to whiten your teeth, you also need to be aware of safety measures to ensure you don’t experience any major side effects.
In this instance, we’re talking about at-home teeth whitening kits. There’s been a lot of misleading information on the internet about at-home teeth whitening kits. Before you consider at-home kits, it is important that you learn about them.
Are At-Home-Teeth Whitening Kits Safe?
Nowadays, you can obtain fast-tracked whitening kits from over-the-counter drug stores at an affordable cost. It is easy to become appealed by what you see. Although, how can you tell if At-Home whitening kits are safe?
Teeth whitening kits are trays filled with whitening gel that you apply to your teeth. They are similar to dental mouthguards. Kits you purchase for home treatments are usually prefilled with teeth whitening gel.
Many of the kits you see advertised do not declare the chemicals used which raises questions about its safety. Without understanding the properties used, you’re risking the chance of tooth pain and sensitivity.
Be aware of the following tips with at-home teeth whitening kits:
- Identify And Follow Instructions – Ensure that the kits you use include instructions and directions of use.
- Bleaching Agent Information – The bleach concentration should be less than or equal to 10%. This is considered a safe product to use. The higher the concentration, the more side effects such as erosion damage and gum irritation.
- Do The Kits Fit? – Purchasing kits from drug stores means you risk the chance of kits not fitting your mouth. This can increase the risk of gum sensitivity.
- Speak To The Dentist – If you’re looking to purchase teeth whitening kits, it is essential that you seek dental advice first. You need to ensure you’ve done your research on the properties the bleaching gel contains. The dentist can direct you to make the correct choice.
Am I Eligible For At-Home Kits?
It is always a good idea to consult the dentist if you’re looking to purchase at-home kits. There are circumstances where the kits may not be appropriate for some people. If you’re in the bracket of one the following points, kits may not be the right choice of whitening treatment if:
- You’re allergic to hydrogen peroxide
- You have underlying oral health problems such as cavities, decay or damaged enamel
- You’ve restorative treatments such as fillings, crowns and veneers. Learn more about if you can whiten teeth with restorative treatments.
Generally, at-home teeth whitening kits are best for those who have healthy teeth and gums. However, ensure you contact the dentist for advice before purchasing at-home kits.
Are you considering teeth whitening treatment? Contact our helpful Pennant Hills dentists today and book an appointment. Alternatively, follow our blog page for everything you need to know about teeth whitening or find your commonly asked teeth whitening questions answered here.